Dr. David Moore
M. G. Robertson Professor of Pneumatology
I love teaching and I have no greater joy than preparing Christian leaders for the 21st century. I bring to the classroom a unique combination of pastoral experience and academic training. I often say that “if you cut me, I bleed pastor,” pointing to my long and successful pastoral experience. I also have two earned doctoral degrees as well as a strong and growing publication record that demonstrate my academic passions. I’m honored to hold the M.G. “Pat” Robertson Chair of Pneumatology for TKU!
- Research and Interest Areas
Areas of special interest include the history and theology of the modern Pentecostal/charismatic movements, pneumatology, the Jesus People Movement, 20th century American history, Pentecostal hermeneutics, Christian leadership and spirituality—emphasizing missional leadership. I’m currently completing a new history of The Foursquare Church, the Pentecostal denomination in which TKU founder Jack Hayford served.
- The Shepherding Movement: Controversy and Charismatic Ecclesiology. London: T & T Clark, 2003. (In second printing)
- Coauthor with Jack Hayford, The Charismatic Century: The Enduring Impact of the Azusa Street Revival. Nashville: Warner Faith, 2006.
- Coeditor, Renewal History and Theology: Essays in Honor of H. Vinson Synan. Cleveland: CPT Press, 2014.
- Coeditor, The Pastor & the Kingdom: Essays Honoring Jack W. Hayford Jr. Southlake, TX: TKU Press, 2017.
- Pastor Jack: The Authorized Biography of Jack W. Hayford. Colorado Springs: David C Cook/Gateway Publishing, October 2020.
Book Chapters/Journal Articles
- “Jack Hayford, the Security of the Believer, and the Need for Pentecostal Pastor-Theologians in.” in the book The Truth About Grace, Charisma House, 2018.
- “Empowered for Witness: The Holy Spirit and the Contemporary Mission of the Church,” in Spirit Empowered Christianity in the 21st Century, Charisma House, 2011.
- “Discerning the Times: The Victorious Eschatology of the Shepherding Movement,” in Perspectives in Pentecostal Eschatologies, 2010, Pickwick.
- “Jack W. Hayford and the ‘Mary Miracle’: A Case Study in Pentecostal Hermeneutics,” The Journal of Renewal Studies, Regent University, 2004.
- “The Shepherding, Discipleship Controversy” in Vinson Synan, The Century of the Holy Spirit, 2001.
- “The Shepherding Movement: A Case Study in Charismatic Ecclesiology.” Pneuma: Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Fall 2000.
- Contributor (two articles) Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Routledge, 2006.
- Contributor (eight articles) New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Editor: Stanley Burgess, 2002
- Contributor (two articles) Encyclopedia of Global Pentecostalism. Boston: Brill, 2021.
Many other contributions to periodicals and journals as well as presentations at academic conferences.
- Courses Taught
Christian History & Renewal I & II (Grad)
Biblical Study of the Holy Spirit (Undergrad)
Renewal Theology & Leadership (Grad)
Christ & Culture (DMin)