Dr. David Moore
M. G. Robertson Professor of Pneumatology
I love teaching and I have no greater joy and than preparing Christian leaders for the 21st century. I bring to the classroom a unique combination of pastoral experience and academic training. I often say that “if you cut me I bleed pastor,” pointing to my long and successful pastoral experience. I also have two earned doctoral degrees as well as a strong and growing publication record that demonstrate my academic passions. I’m honored to hold the M.G. “Pat” Robertson Chair of Pneumatology for TKU!
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST:
The history and theology of the modern pentecostal/charismatic movements, pneumatology, the Jesus People Movement, 20th century American history, pentecostal hermeneutics, Christian leadership and spirituality—emphasizing missional leadership. My main writing project at present is completing an interpretive biography on Jack W. Hayford, TKU’s chancellor.
Ph.D. Regent University (2008)
D.Min.: Regent University (1999)
M.A. Oral Roberts University (1996)
Th.B. Pacific Coast Bible College (1989)
- Fulltime & Adjunct Professor—Life Pacific College, San Dimas, CA – November 1996-2013
- Executive Director of the John Perkins Center for Christian Community Development at Patten University, Oakland, CA – 2005-2012
- Adjunct Professor—Regent University, D.Min. & masters programs – 1999-current
- Visiting Professor—Regent University, D.Min. & masters programs – 2005-2009
- Associate Professor—Life Pacific College, San Dimas, CA – 2000, 2003-2004, 2012-2013
- Adjunct Professor—Church of God Theological Seminary. D.Min.& masters programs – 2001-2012
- Teaching Fellow—Regent University, School of Divinity Ph.D. program – July 2002-August 2005
- Lead Pastor Jackson Avenue Church/Missio Dei Church, Escalon/Manteca – CA 2011-current
- Interim Senior Pastor—Sonora Hills Community Church: Sonora, CA – 2009-2011
- Pastor at large, New Hope Church, Escalon, CA – 2005-2009
- Founding Pastor—New Hope Church; Manteca, CA – 2003-2005
- Senior Pastor—New Hope Church; Manteca, CA – 1977-2002
- The 1999 D.Min. Leadership and Renewal Award; Regent University, School of Divinity
- 1999 D.Min. Dissertation earned “passed with distinguishing honors.”
- Honors Graduate: Oral Roberts University, School of Theology, 1996
- The Shepherding Movement: Controversy and Charismatic Ecclesiology. London: T & T Clark, 2003. (In second printing)
- The Charismatic Century: The Enduring Impact of the Azusa Street Revival. Nashville: Warner Faith, 2006.
- Renewal History and Theology: Essays in Honor of H. Vinson Synan. Cleveland: CPT Press, 2014
- Completing a two-volume biography on noted pastor Jack W. Hayford (First volume due publisher 2017).
Book Chapters/Journal Articles:
- “Empowered for Witness: The Holy Spirit and the Contemporary Mission of the Church,” in Spirit Empowered Christianity in the 21st Century, Charisma House, 2011.
- “Discerning the Times: The Victorious Eschatology of the Shepherding Movement,” in Perspectives in Pentecostal Eschatologies, 2010, Pickwick.
- “Jack W. Hayford and the ‘Mary Miracle’: A Case Study in Pentecostal Hermeneutics,” The Journal of Renewal Studies, Regent University, 2004.
- “The Shepherding, Discipleship Controversy” in Vinson Synan, The Century of the Holy Spirit, 2001.
- “The Shepherding Movement: A Case Study in Charismatic Ecclesiology.” Pneuma: Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Fall 2000.
- Contributor (two articles) Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Routledge, 2006.
- Contributor (eight articles) to the revised New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Editor: Stanley Burgess, 2002
Many other contributions to periodicals and journals as well as presentations at academic conferences.
My wife Patty and I have three children, seven grandchildren, and four great grandchildren (I’m much too young for great grandchildren!). We also were recently adopted by a cat (named, with enormous creativity, “Kitty”).
I love running, film, music, and guitar. My favorite pastime, besides playing guitar, is READING! Patty and I both love to travel.