Dr. David Cole
Provost | CAO | Dean of Jack W. Hayford School of Graduate Studies
My passion is to live my life as a facilitator and a bridge in service to persons and communities so that they can thrive in their God-given callings in advancement of the Kingdom of God. I am thrilled and honored to be a colleague alongside amazing, committed individuals who support the unique vision of offering a new generation of students an excellent education that prioritizes a Spirit-empowered experience in the context of partnership with a dynamic and healthy resource church. I love Jesus’ prayer in John 17:23, “May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.” The way we come together as the Body of Christ, under His headship, has such a direct bearing on our success in fulfilling the Great Commission—this never ceases to inspire and challenge me.
- Certifications and Credentials
- Ordained: Open Bible Churches (U.S.) and Open Bible Faith Fellowship (Canada)
- Member: Society for Pentecostal Studies
- Chair, Christian Unity Commission: Pentecostal/Charismatic Churches of North America
- Pentecostal Co-Secretary: International Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue
- Research and Interest Areas
- Unity and reconciliation between Christians and churches
- Pentecostal and Charismatic history and theology
Contributions to Book Publications
- Theological Editor and contributing author to We Believe: Core Truths for Christian Living, ed. R. Bach, D. Cole, A. Johnson, Des Moines: OBC Publishing (2015).
- “Forty Years of International Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue,” in Renewal History & Theology: Essays in Honor of H. Vinson Synan, edited by S. David Moore and James M. Henderson. Cleveland, TN: CPT Press (2014).
- “Holy Spirit Empowerment in the 21st Century: Future Ecumenical Challenges,” in Spirit-empowered Christianity in the 21st Century: Insights, Analysis, and Future Trends from World-renowned Scholars, Vinson Synan, ed. Lake Mary, FL: Charisma House (2011).
- Contributing writer to Heart for the Harvest: Stories of Vision, Faith, & Courage. A Biographical History of Open Bible Churches, 1982-2007, Jeffrey E. Farmer and Andrea P. Johnson, eds. Des Moines: Open Bible Churches (2009).
- “Heritage and Horizons: the Derivation and Destiny of Open Bible Churches,” pp. 157-176 in The Future of Pentecostalism in the United States, Eric Patterson and Ed Rybarczyk, eds. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books (2007).
- Ecumenical Trends May 1995 “Current Pentecostal/Ecumenical Tensions.”
- Centro Pro Unione Bulletin N. 72 (Fall 2007) “Azusa Street Centennial: Pneumatological Perspective—A Possible Genealogy of the Holy Spirit,” pp. 18-21.
Articles in Reference Works
- The Essential Handbook of Denominations and Ministries, ed. George Thomas Kurian and Sarah Claudine Day, Grand Rapids: Baker (2017). “Apostolic Faith Mission of Portland, OR,” and “Open Bible Churches.”
- Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity, ed. S. M. Burgess, New York: Routledge (2006). “Dialogue, Catholic and Pentecostal,” and “Ecumenism and the Ecumenical Movement.”
Contributing author in Dialogue Report
- On Becoming a Christian: Insights from Scripture and the Patristic Writings with some Contemporary Reflections. Report of the Fifth Phase of the International Dialogue Between Some Classical Pentecostal Churches and Leaders and the Catholic Church (1998-2006). Published in the Information Service of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, N. 129 (2008/III), pp. 162-215; also see online at http://www.christianunity.va/content/unitacristiani/en/dialoghi/sezione-occidentale/pentecostali/dialogo/documenti-di-dialogo/2006-divenire-cristiano–prospettive-bibliche-e-patristiche.html.
- “Do Not Quench the Spirit”: Charisms in the Life and Mission of the Church. Report of the Sixth Phase of the International Catholic-Pentecostal Dialogue (2011-2015). Published in the Information Service of the Pontifical Council for Promoting Christian Unity, N. 147 (2016/I), pp. 47-63; also see online at http://www.christianunity.va/content/unitacristiani/en/dialoghi/sezione-occidentale/pentecostali/dialogo/documenti-di-dialogo/2015-non-spegnete-lo-spirito.html.
- Courses Taught
- BIBD 5304/BIBH 5301 Christian Unity
- BIBH 1301 Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements
- BIBH 3301 Church History