Transfer of Credit

The King’s University (TKU) welcomes students who have completed academic work at other institutions and will accept courses which are comparable to or which meet the objectives of the TKU curriculum. All students must complete at least one year of residency at TKU. This means that a transfer student must complete at least 30 hours of coursework, or 25% of their degree program at TKU unless otherwise specified by the degree program. Similarly, graduate students may transfer up to sixty-seven percent (67%) of the required credits for their respective graduate degree program. Once this limit has been reached, no other transfer credits may be awarded.

Use our transfer equivalency system (TES) to find out how many of your credits will transfer.

Check Transferability

General course transfer criteria for all programs: 

  • Courses are only eligible for transfer if they are accredited by schools recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and are similar in nature, content, and credit hours to the courses offered at TKU.
  • Only grades of C- and above are eligible for transfer credit. Grades of D+, D, and D- will not be accepted.
  • Credit earned through CLEP or AP coursework is transferable provided an official transcript is received by the Office of the Registrar from The College Board.
  • Transfer courses will be posted at the same level they were taken at a previous institution. For example, undergraduate courses will not be used to satisfy graduate requirements and vice-versa.
  • Grades for transfer courses are not calculated into the student’s GPA at TKU.
  • Graduating students are not allowed to transfer hours taken at another institution if the hours are taken during their final semester at TKU.

Additional criteria for graduate programs only: 

  • Non-seminary related courses are not normally considered for transfer credit.
  • Students enrolling in the Master of Marriage and Family Therapy degree may only transfer in up to 18 credits from another program.

Unaccredited Institutions Transfer Policy 

The King’s University has established articulation agreements with a number of unaccredited institutions for the purpose of transferring credits to TKU. These articulation agreements are eligible to transfer a limited amount of credits from an unaccredited institution based on pre-established equivalency tables. For a current listing of the institutions, please contact the Admissions Department. In addition to established articulation agreements, transfer of credit up to twelve (12) undergraduate lower-level (1000-2000) semester hours may be awarded as elective credit, subject to the degree requirements, from approved non-accredited institutions in which TKU does not have a preexisting articulation agreement. To be eligible for transfer, students must contact the Office of the Registrar and submit a petition for each class to be approved for transfer.