Financial Aid

The Office of Student Financial Services at The King’s University is committed to helping you understand all of the resources available to fund your education. Financial Aid is available to assist those qualified students who desire to attend The King’s, but may lack the financial means to do so. The primary responsibility for financing an education belongs to the student and his/her family. Financial Aid is based upon need. Need is defined as the difference between the cost of attending The King’s and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) toward the cost. The  “Free Application for Federal Student Aid” (FAFSA) is the form from which the EFC is calculated. It’s never too early to begin exploring financial aid options. We encourage future and current students to start investigating as soon as possible. Students must demonstrate eligibility to receive financial aid. To be eligible to receive financial aid, a student must:

  • Be a United States citizen or permanent resident.
  • Be enrolled as a full-time student for maximum financial aid.
  • Have a financial need.
  • Be seeking a degree or certificate and making satisfactory academic progress toward graduation.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service if a male, at least 18 years of age, and born after December 31, 1959.
  • Not be in default of any Title IV loans.

Disbursements of all financial aid funds are typically completed in the second week of classes after attendance is verified during the first week of classes.* From the date of disbursement, TKU has 14 days to distribute any credit balance refunds to students.

*Exception is made when student is only enrolled in TKU’s Online Session 2. In this case, disbursements are typically made the second week of that session.

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant
A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid and is awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. How much aid you get depends on:

  • Your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).
  • Your cost of attendance.
  • Whether you’re a full-time or part-time student.
  • Whether you attend school for a full academic year or less.

Students who received a Pell Grant for the first time on or after July 1, 2008, can only receive the Pell Grant for up to 18 semesters or the equivalent. Students may not receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
Awarded to Pell-eligible undergraduate students with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students with 0 (zero) EFC. Funds are limited.
William D Ford Direct Loan Program 
Direct Loans are low-interest loans for students and parents to help pay for the cost of a student’s education after high school. The lender is the U.S. Department of Education, though most of the contact will be with your loan servicer. With Direct Loans, you

  • Have online access to your Direct Loan account information via your servicer’s website.
  • Can choose from several repayment plans, and you can switch repayment plans if your needs change.

Loan Limits

The maximum amount you can borrow each year in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans depends on your grade level and on whether you are a dependent student or an independent student. The following table shows the maximum amount of money you may borrow each academic year in Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans as well as the total or aggregate amount you may borrow: 

Year Dependent Independent Graduate
1st $5,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $9,500—No more than $3,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $20,500 (unsubsidized only)
2nd $6,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $10,500—No more than $4,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $20,500 (unsubsidized only)
3rd – 4th $7,500—No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans.) $12,500—No more than $5,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $20,500 (unsubsidized only)
Aggregate $31,000—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $57,500 for undergraduates—No more than $23,000 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. $138,500 for graduate or professional students—No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate aggregate limit includes all federal loans received for undergraduate study.


  • The aggregate loan limits include any Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans you may have previously received under the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program. As a result of legislation that took effect July 1, 2010, no further loans are being made under the FFEL Program.
  • Effective for periods of enrollment beginning on or after July 1, 2012, graduate and professional students are no longer eligible to receive Direct Subsidized Loans. The $65,500 subsidized aggregate loan limit for graduate or professional students includes subsidized loans that a graduate or professional student may have received for periods of enrollment that began before July 1, 2012, or for prior undergraduate study.
  • In order to determine loan eligibility you must complete the FAFSA. Interest rates on these loans can adjust either up or down every July 1 by the Department of Education. For more information on federal student loans please visit Federal Student Loan Program.

Apply for Financial Aid