Veteran Students

Where to Start

Veteran students can be beginning freshmen, transfer students, continuing students, or graduate students. For federal aid, you can follow the same application steps for the group that pertains to you: incoming freshmen, transfer students, continuing students, and graduate students.

However, if you are intending to use VA Benefits at TKU, you can find more information below. TKU is authorized by the Department of Veterans Affairs to certify students enrolled in various degree programs for benefits under the following chapters. Please contact the school VA official for the approved programs.

  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 G.I. Bill-Active Duty)
  • Chapter 30 (Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty)
  • Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)
  • Chapter 35 (Veteran’s Spouses or Dependents)
  • Chapter 1606 (Selected Reserve)
  • Chapter 1607 (Reserve Educational Assistance Program)

Financial Aid Process

Step 1: Apply for Benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs
What you need to do
  • Speak with a VA Representative at 888.442.4551 to determine what chapter you qualify for and your eligibility.
  • G- Apply for benefits here:
  • Wait to receive your Certificate of Eligibility.
Step 2: Submit Documents
What you need to do
  • Submit the following forms to TKU’s VA Representative at or in person:
    • Certificate of Eligibility
    • Joint Service Transcripts
What we do
  • Receive the forms and create a VA Student file for you.
  • Respond with confirmation that the documents have been received.
Step 3: Apply to TKU
What you need to do
  • Fill out an application for Admission.
  • Include your Social Security Number.
  • Make sure your information matches your information on the DD214.
What we do
  • Create an applicant/student profile and email.
  • Send you instructions on how to access your email.
Step 4: Enrollment and Certification
What you need to do
  • Enroll in courses (all courses must pertain to your degree program to be eligible).
  • Notify VA Representative of any changes to your courses or degree program.
  • Wait for TKU to certify your benefits.
What we do
  • Verify that all courses are required for the student’s degree program.
  • Submit all courses to the VA to request benefit payment in the second week of classes (this is done to ensure students are attending the first week).
Step 5: Wait for Disbursement
What you need to do
  • Check your Student Ledger to see disbursements post to your account. (TKU does not control the disbursement timeline once certification is completed. Typically, the first term at a new school takes longer for disbursement than following terms.)
  • NOTE: If you are receiving Chapter 30 benefits, your award will be sent directly to you. You will be required to submit the payment to TKU upon receiving the funds.
What we do
  • Continue communication with the VA to ensure payment is being remitted.
  • Receive deposits from VA.
  • Post disbursements to students’ accounts.

For more information or questions please contact:

Leann Doolittle
VA Central Certifying Official