Complaint and Appeal Process

Student Complaint Process

Consumer Information on Filing a Complaint

If a complaint is not settled at the institutional level, the student may contact the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board -1200 E. Anderson Lane, Austin, TX 78752 – P.O. Box 12788, Austin, TX 78711- 2788, (512)427-610,


An individual may contact the Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education for review of a complaint. The bureau may be contacted at 2535 Capital Oaks Drive suite 400, Sacramento, CA 95833. Bureau for Private Postsecondary Education (telephone 916-431-6924 and fax 916-263-1897)


TRACS, in writing via email at or by mail at Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools, 15935 Forest Road, Forest, Virginia 24551; ABHE, in writing via email at or by mail at Association for Biblical Higher Education, 5850 T. G. Lee Blvd. Suite 130, Orlando, Florida 32822; ATS, in writing by mail at The Association of Theological Schools, 10 Summit Park Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15275.

Distance Education – Student Complaints

In addition to ensuring that institutions are authorized to offer academic programs in other states, the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) provides a pathway for students in all states to submit complains (also known as grievances). Complaints that should be filed as a SARA Complaint are those that pertain to distance (online) education. The SARA complaint process is as follows:

1. Students must first attempt to resolve their complaint using internal administrative procedures offered by the SARA institution.

2. After all administrative remedies have been exhausted with the SARA institution, the student may submit a SARA Complaint via the State Portal Entity.

More information about the NC-SARA complaint process can be found here.

Click here for the rules governing student complaints – Title 19 of the Texas Administrative Code, Sections 1.110-1.120.