I love teaching and I have no greater joy than preparing Christian leaders for the 21st century. I bring to the classroom a unique combination of pastoral experience and academic training. I often say that “if you cut me, I bleed pastor,” pointing to my long and successful pastoral experience. I also have two earned doctoral degrees as well as a strong and growing publication record that demonstrate my academic passions. I’m honored to hold the M.G. “Pat” Robertson Chair of Pneumatology for TKU!
Research and Interest Areas
Areas of special interest include the history and theology of the modern Pentecostal/charismatic movements, pneumatology, the Jesus People Movement, 20th century American history, Pentecostal hermeneutics, Christian leadership and spirituality—emphasizing missional leadership. I’m currently completing a new history of The Foursquare Church, the Pentecostal denomination in which TKU founder Jack Hayford served.
- The Shepherding Movement: Controversy and Charismatic Ecclesiology. London: T & T Clark, 2003. (In second printing)
- Coauthor with Jack Hayford, The Charismatic Century: The Enduring Impact of the Azusa Street Revival. Nashville: Warner Faith, 2006.
- Coeditor, Renewal History and Theology: Essays in Honor of H. Vinson Synan. Cleveland: CPT Press, 2014.
- Coeditor, The Pastor & the Kingdom: Essays Honoring Jack W. Hayford Jr. Southlake, TX: TKU Press, 2017.
- Pastor Jack: The Authorized Biography of Jack W. Hayford. Colorado Springs: David C Cook/Gateway Publishing, October 2020.
Book Chapters/Journal Articles
- “Jack Hayford, the Security of the Believer, and the Need for Pentecostal Pastor-Theologians in.” in the book The Truth About Grace, Charisma House, 2018.
- “Empowered for Witness: The Holy Spirit and the Contemporary Mission of the Church,” in Spirit Empowered Christianity in the 21st Century, Charisma House, 2011.
- “Discerning the Times: The Victorious Eschatology of the Shepherding Movement,” in Perspectives in Pentecostal Eschatologies, 2010, Pickwick.
- “Jack W. Hayford and the ‘Mary Miracle’: A Case Study in Pentecostal Hermeneutics,” The Journal of Renewal Studies, Regent University, 2004.
- “The Shepherding, Discipleship Controversy” in Vinson Synan, The Century of the Holy Spirit, 2001.
- “The Shepherding Movement: A Case Study in Charismatic Ecclesiology.” Pneuma: Journal of the Society for Pentecostal Studies, Fall 2000.
- Contributor (two articles) Encyclopedia of Pentecostal and Charismatic Christianity. Routledge, 2006.
- Contributor (eight articles) New International Dictionary of Pentecostal and Charismatic Movements. Editor: Stanley Burgess, 2002
- Contributor (two articles) Encyclopedia of Global Pentecostalism. Boston: Brill, 2021.
Many other contributions to periodicals and journals as well as presentations at academic conferences.
Christian History & Renewal I & II (Grad)
Biblical Study of the Holy Spirit (Undergrad)
Renewal Theology & Leadership (Grad)
Christ & Culture (DMin)
Oral Roberts University
Pacific Coast Bible College